Lake Atitlan, Guatemala

Lake Atitlan, Guatemala

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Maureen's Bio & Important Information

Hello Geography Students,
Before I give you my background and interests, I promised that I would provide you with two useful websites. At Saddleback College, geography falls under the Social and Behavioral Science Division. This division has a very informative website and provides links and answers to many questions that students might have while attending the college. I highly recommend going to this website if you have questions.  Another useful website while you are taking my geography course is the Saddleback Geography website.

Maureen's Bio:
I grew up in Santa Barbara, CA. and spent my first two years of college at Santa Barbara City College where I played soccer, worked abroad in Ireland one summer, and studied abroad in Florence, Italy. Entering college, I already new that I was going to major in geography. I had been lucky enough to travel as a kid and so was a natural geographer. For my last two years of undergraduate work, I transferred to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. I am a huge college basketball fan so grew up watching UNC's basketball team. UNC also happened to have one of the best geography programs in the country so it worked out perfectly. After graduation, I moved to Chicago, IL. and was a transportation planner for the city of Chicago. I could only handle two years of their winters before I needed to get back to southern California. I moved to Long Beach, CA. to work on my Graduate degree in geography at CSU-LB. After my first year in graduate school, I began part-time teaching at local Community Colleges in the L.A. and O.C. region. In 2007, I obtained a full-time teaching position at San Bernardino Valley College. One year later, I applied for a geography position at Saddleback College......and here I am today!

I have many interested besides geography. You already know that I love to travel and include my pictures into my lectures for you all to visually see the different things we are learning about. A very good friend of mine who is also a geography professor has started his own travel company called GeoTours. I am lucky enough to be able to go on one of his summer trips each year. Right now, I am in the picture on his website of the group from Guatemala in front of the lava flow! I also travel for scuba diving. Some of my highlight dive trips have been to the Great Barrier Reef, the big island of Hawaii, but my favorite is Cozumel, Mexico.
Other important past times are hiking and cooking. Also important is music. I love almost all types of music. I am a huge fan of the Blues, Jazz, Rock, and Hip Hop. My favorite band is Dave Matthews Band. I spent my twenties traveling around the country with friends seeing the band perform. Last weekend was my 50th show which was at the Hollywood Bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment