Lake Atitlan, Guatemala

Lake Atitlan, Guatemala

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Assignment 6: 5 other Blogs

In exploring other educators blogs, I picked up some interesting ideas on how to make my blog more useful for my students along with some tips on what not to do.




Mr. Williamson’s Science Blog
  • With the white background, it is hard to read due to the font also being a shade of white.
  • I liked how he incorporates quizzes into the blog.
  • It is great that the entire textbook is there available for the students.
  • I noticed that his students will create their own blog at some point and he uses a discussion thread for students to answer questions.
  • After reading a few post, it started to give me a headache due to the color scheme.
 
Brilliant Muskie Blog
  • The instructor who has created this blog seems to be only using it to post news articles to their students and then have them comment.
  • If that is all they are using it for, it works. I like this idea for any education level. It gets the students to use technology and learn about current events. I also like that they then have to comment on the news article.
  • Color style and format – is fine but would not be one of my first choices.
 
Mr. Collier’s Blog (Math & Science; Victoria, Australia)
  • Right away I love the set up of this blog. It is immediately clear, great pictures, and set up is appealing. best so far!
  • This is the blog that I have been trying to figure out how to do in my head. Mr. Collier has created multiple links at the top for different classes he teaches. Exactly what I am looking for.
  • Another nice feature is you can access your class by the link at the top and by the picture/square in the main body of the blog.
  • It seems to be simple with not a ton information and I think that is good.
  • The color scheme makes it very easy to read and navigate.
Mr. Miller’s Classroom Blog
  • I am glad I decided to check out a blog of a teacher that teaches students below high school. I was focusing on Science and as old as possible but I am glad I switched it up.
  • I really like Mr. Miller’s blog.
  • His video of a tour of his classroom and campus is a bit shaky and needs work but I love the idea! I for sure want to incorporate videos like that into my blog!
  • As a college instructor, I cannot communicate with parents but I love that as a 6th grade instructor, he also has blog posts for them. I think parents will really appreciate him including them in the learing process and keeping them informed on when teacher/parent night is.
MadWords Now Blog
  • I like the layout and color scheme.
  • At certain points I felt like it was a bit cluttered but when I read each blog entry, it made sense.
  • I liked the laid back way he communicates. I think that his students would appreciate it and like reading his blog.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment